Neil's Intro to DMA Thoughts

Thursday, November 09, 2006


When considering the idea of children’s media, I think it is difficult for me to get into the mindset to enter into it. I really don’t have much contact with children in my day to day life when I think about, and my idea of childhood stems basically from my own recollections of my past while I was a child. When working with a story in the past, I would usually write a story that reflected in some way where I was at in my life and the way my mind thought about the world around me. Since I’ve written regularly over the years, I have the stories I wrote as a younger child collected. I go back and read them from time to time and the images that were in my mind as I wrote them years and years ago enter right back into my mind after all that time. As I grew up, my stories matured as did my writing style as my mind developed. Now that I have gone through this maturing process, I think I have come to the point where I am happy with my style and ability to convey a story, but the fantasy and innocence of the stories of my childhood as faded somewhere along the way. I feel like now I’m at the point where I’m trying to reconnect with the creativity of my childhood and incorporate that into my more mature writing style now. As people begin to enter the “real world” and grow up, most lose a lot of the former glory of their imaginations as they invest themselves in day to day living in the mundane activities. Now that I’ve been going through this crossroad where the path of my future is determined by the choices I am making right now, I feel determined to retain the sense of mystery, joy, and creativity that was so strong as a child. In the end, hopefully that will remain a part of me in my adulthood as it was in my childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home