Neil's Intro to DMA Thoughts

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The "I'm Happy" music video by the Gorillaz, which was much discussed in class during the music video day, was visually very intriguing. I had never heard of this group before that class period and most of the lyrics, besides some of the chorus of course, I could not make out really, but the sound of it working together with the visuals was almost hypnotic. The all black eyes of the lead singer character certainly caught my attention and was a bit disturbing. However, before any outside input was given to me by others, I felt myself feeling captivated by the reality of it. It may have had some kind of painful depressive quality to it, but it reflected something real emotionally. With all the fakeness surrounding us in the current culture, feeling connected to something real, even if it is dark and full of problems, is important. It is still hard for me to spell out where my mind is going in this matter, but I know it is going beyond this one particular example.

The viking music video from War Photographer was good for a few minutes of entertainment, but that was about it. It was a little humorous with the visual style and the odd plot that was played out and the music was catchy, but I could not really find myself caring about it. I guess it is one of those things that are interesting and fun for the moment it plays, but then after that it is gone from my mind completely. Perhaps that was its purpose in the first place and if so, then it fulfilled what it was meant for just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home