Neil's Intro to DMA Thoughts

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I thought I would write a bit about Prof. Ballinger's lecture in the library the other day. First I will say that when I normally hear a lecture in a format like that, it usually takes some effort for me to keep my attention focussed on what is being said the whole way through. This time however, I found it very relaxed, real, intriguing, and entertaining as well. Even in a formal format such as that, who he is came through without question or hesitation. I think that is impressive and admirable.

The topic on which he was speaking felt very relevant to my own situation and where I'm at as well. When he was talking about how he felt intimidated by artists who create in styles very different to him or by those who have more skill in some area, I was able to identitfy with that, because I feel a little out of place at times. For instance, as opposed to those who seem to have doodled and draw all growing up, I never really drew between when I was a young child and when I took Drawing 1 in college. Instead, I was always writing stories. I suppose I'm still working out what my particular niche will be.

The paticular topic of coming back to your childhood for your artwork stuck out to me as well. During this semester, I have started up a story again that I had let sit for a number of years and had thought I would never finish. Going back to this older story reminded me of some of my older stories and how powerful my imagination was as a child. The older I grew, the more realistic my tales began to grow. Now, with my life this semester revolving around stories, art, and creativity, my imagination has been getting a workout and I have a growing desire to rediscover the creative power from my childhood and combine that with my more mature mind and skills. What form this process may take in the future, I have no idea, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home