Neil's Intro to DMA Thoughts

Wednesday, August 30, 2006


I find it difficult to describe myself because it seems to me that however you choose to describe yourself is a way of attempting to give yourself an identity in the eyes of others.

I suppose I could identify myself as a storyteller as I have been writing stories since I learned to write and continue to due so when I have the time and energy. This identity also could fit me since I am in the middle, or perhaps towards the beginning of learning the art of visual storytelling through animation.

Another related identity would be that of a developing digital artist, since I have been exploring several software packages as interesting tools. So far in this regard I have been focussed in landscapes since they seem to spark my interest the most. As I learn more about developing characters in my classes, I hope that I will be able to incorporate interesting characters in my landscapes and have that be the beginning for some of my animation in the future. The image posted here is an example of one of the images that I have created so far.

While some may call me quiet, I prefer observant and careful in what I speak. While others would call me random, well I would probably agree.

I could give myself the identity of an occasional long distance runner, as I enjoy going off to a park and running some miles until I can barely stand up any longer. I have found it to be oddly true that running until you fall over in exhaustion and then recovering can be a powerful analogy for life.

While these few things tell a little about my identity, I do not believe in limiting who a person is to their career, tangible interests, or current school. While we may give ourselves validity by presenting our strengths and accomplishments to others, I choose to leave my identity open for discussion. If after this you still wonder who I am, feel free to try and figure it out. I know I still am.

Also, If you think that this is overly deep and complicated for an introductory post, well perhaps that is just part of who I am as well.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Sleeper, at 2:29 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Sleeper, at 2:46 PM  

  • Deep is good. So is observant and ambiguous.

    By Blogger Sleeper, at 2:48 PM  

  • Nothing wrong with depth. :-)

    That is a VERY nice image, by the way.

    By Blogger Caitlynn, at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home